Wednesday 30 October 2013

Muang Samsip - New home

After an amazing month in Chiang Mai it was time to come back to reality and start teaching again. I have now moved to a different project - working in a secondary school - in a slighter bigger yet still very rural and poor town called Muang Samsip. It's only the start of my second week here and I already feel very at home - thanks to my new partners Amy and Nicole who have kindly welcomed me into their not so pleasant house. Got to hand it to them though, their painting and de-cockroaching of the whole house makes the place that bit more attractive. I arrived here after an 18 hour bus journey last Sunday and started teaching on the Monday. The past week has flown in and I have been busy exploring the town and getting to know not only the school and my students, but some of the community as well. Everyone here - like most Thai people - are very friendly and welcoming.

At the weekend we attended a party that was going on at the school, which allowed me to meet more people. Like all the parties we have been to there was all sorts of amazing food to indulge in and beautiful Thai dancers. We were also invited to visit a ceremony at a temple in the neighbouring town Phana. We set off early and arrived at the temple, were we got several pictures taken and were made to carry a banner at the front of the small parade before entering the temple. We sat through the meditation and watched the monks receive offerings of new robes and money before they each spoke and chanted. It was a very interesting experience and I'm glad we had the experience to go and join everyone.

Really enjoying teaching  my secondary classes, planning lessons and also learning lots as I go.

"In learning you will teach; and in teaching you will learn"









No comments:

Post a Comment